Centre for Stress Management
Established in 1987
Providing training and consultancy services for over 35 years
All courses are now delivered using the zoom virtual training platform
Primary Certificate in Trauma and PTSD
This 2-day programme looks at trauma and PTSD within a cognitive-behavioural framework. The course covers the signs and symptoms associated with trauma and PTSD, assessment and the application of relevant cognitive behavioural strategies used in the treatment of trauma and PTSD. In addition the course focuses on the disorders often associated with trauma such as anxiety, panic, depression and other associated features e.g. guilt and shame. The important issues of referral, supervision and further training are also considered on this course. The course includes theory and experiential skills-based learning.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
The programme is suitable for counsellors, psychotherapists, psychologists, personnel staff, health and caring professionals who wish to learn about trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder. The course is unsuitable for individuals who would find discussions about trauma distressing or are currently suffering from the effects of a traumatic event. This course is NOT an opportunity to work out issues which may need the support of personal therapy. Individuals with little or no understanding of a cognitive-behavioural framework would be advised to attend appropriate courses at the Centre or elsewhere to increase their knowledge.
• To provide learnerss with an understanding of trauma and PTSD by considering the normally associated signs and symptoms
• To understand the role of assessment and case conceptualisation in PTSD/trauma and practise a range of relevant therapeutic techniques within a cognitive-behavioural framework
By the end of the course delegates will:
• have an understanding of those situations that are termed traumatic
• have become familiar with the physical, emotional, psychological and behavioural symptoms normally associated with trauma and PTSD
• understand the role of assessment and case conceptualisation in PTSD and trauma counselling
• have an understanding of those client factors that may predispose an individual to develop PTSD
• have considered the professional support required for those working with trauma and PTSD
• recognise ways of working with traumatised clients suffering from e.g. anxiety, anger or depression from a cognitive-behavioural perspective
• learn a range of techniques for working with PTSD
POST PROGRAMME REVIEW & CERTIFICATE
A CPD certificate is provided for all attendees. Learners wishing to obtain a Certificate of Achievement need to submit a 750 word Post Programme Review.
The trainer is Kasia Szymanska or Nick Edgerton.
PLEASE READ: GENERAL COURSE INFORMATION